Monday 30 January 2012

RSPB Garden Watch

It doesn’t seem like 5 minutes since I last submitted a count of the birds visiting my garden, and already that time has come around again. I chose an hour on Sunday and settled myself down in my armchair in front of the patio windows where I could get an all-round view of the garden and the feeders. If only bird watching could always be this comfortable!!

It wasn’t too long before the usual suspects began to show. First came the Blackbirds to feast on the apples I had thrown onto the lawn. These were soon followed by Sparrows (Tree & House), Goldfinch, Chaffinch, and Greenfinch after the sunflower hearts and nyger in the feeders. Interestingly, it was only after the numbers of other birds had begun visiting the feeders before the Tits and Dunnocks had enough confidence to make a show.

As I said, all the usual suspects made an appearance in the hour I had set aside, but I had visits from three not so common friends – well actually only two, while the other was a close miss. The first was a Stock Dove complete with its iridescent neck. The second was a glorious Yellowhammer almost ready for the coming spring.


The last on my list – well actually not as it didn’t quite make the garden – was a Grey Heron that perched in a neighbour’s tree taking a very close look at the expensive Koi Carp they had bought over the summer.

All in all I was pleased with the numbers I was able to report, and felt that it was marginally improved on last year. Missing, though, were the Song Thrushes, which I have seen very little of this winter. Given the very mild weather we have had, they have probably survived, but are still out of the village feeding in the countryside. Well let's hope so. I do love to hear their song in the mornings and evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment